Monday, May 3, 2021

Close encounters of the bovine: Recollections of a rural veterinarian, by Rosalie Cooper-Chase

 

When I was growing up, I was determined to become a veterinarian. After reading All things great and small, by James Herriot, I read every memoir by a veterinarian that I could find in the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh. These included both zoo and rural vets; I volunteered at the Pittsburgh Zoo, so the zoo vet memoirs were very interesting to me as well. I really enjoyed this account. Dr. Cooper-Chase worked primarily with cattle, horses, dogs, and cats, but this book focuses on her experiences with cattle. Many of the stories she recounts have to do with birthing difficulties, although some are about other common dangers. She shares her observations about the ranchers as well, and her stories show the wide variety of people who go into ranching. This book would be of interest to anyone interested in animals and their care.

No comments:

Post a Comment