Sunday, July 11, 2021

A first dictionary of cultural literacy, by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.

I came across this book at work, and although dated (1989), I was curious about what the author thought every child should know (the book is aimed at 6th graders). It's organized into several dozen chapters, addressing proverbs; idioms; English; literature; mythology; music, art, and architecture; the Bible; religion and philosophy; American history to 1865; American history since 1865; politics and economics; world history to 1600; world history since 1600; United States geography; world geography; mathematics; physical sciences; earth sciences and weather; life sciences; medicine and the human body; and technology. It was a fun look back at the K-12 curriculum, but I have to question the need for a book that lists all the facts a child should know by a certain age. The details in many of the chapters will change constantly, and these are things that (in my opinion) are best left learned through reading and schoolwork rather than a list. On the other hand, one of the reviews that I read was written by a parent who used it as a fun quiz activity for her kids. For me, this book was a great reminder of what I liked about school so much growing up!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment