Monday, September 20, 2021

Alfred in the Chroniclers, by Edward Conybeare

I've been reading about Alfred the Great lately, and came across this account of Alfred's life drawn from 14 medieval chronicles, including the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles. Full disclosure, my copy was the first edition, and really beat up, so when I tried to find a cover art image, all I could find was a bunch of reprints, so I picked the most attractive cover image to use here. It was fascinating to read these accounts, some written hundreds of years after the time in question, and many of which copied from earlier chronicles (e.g., the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles or Asser). As I'm watching The Last Kingdom right now on Netflix, it's been fun looking at what was taken from the chronicles and what has been completely invented.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment