Friday, November 19, 2021

Innocents and others, by Dana Spiotta

 

This book really grew on me. I didn't think I was going to like it at first, but the more I read, the more I liked it. The book opens with an online essay about how a filmmaker got started in the business. It then jumps to a few chapters about someone named Jelly, and her relationships with Jack and Oz, covering several decades. It then jumps again to chapters about the main character Meadow and her childhood friend Carrie. Alternating between all of these perspectives, it's only late in the book that the reader learns how they're all tied together. I enjoyed reading about the film business, from early filmmakers to experimental documentaries. I appreciated the descriptions of the two filmmakers' early years exploring films of all types; their enthusiasm and experimentation seemed authentic to me, although it's clear that they could never have done what they did without the benefits of a highly privileged private school education. As Meadow and Carrie move into middle age, they come back together as friends, having learned a lot about themselves, and there is a new self acceptance. This is in contrast to Jelly's story, which is sad and dark; her self hatred comes out in everything she does. This is not a joyous book, but it was fascinating and compelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment