Friday, March 24, 2023

The lion is in, by Delia Ephron

I really enjoyed this funny, yet touching, novel about three women who are all on the run from their respective pasts. They stop one night at a closed roadside bar, intending to just sleep there, but they end up staying for months. The bar has a retired circus lion that one of the women becomes attached to and she begins to work with it and do shows for the customers. The other two help with serving and management, and the bar starts to do much better financially. Each of the women begin to makes friends with the locals, but they all know that at some point they will have to make a decision about whether to stay or return home to deal with their pasts. I've never read any of Delia Ephron's books, but I've seen some of the movies that she wrote the screenplay for. Her writing is very good and I found myself completely engrossed with the story and characters.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment