Monday, April 15, 2024

The Wager: a tale of shipwreck, mutiny, and murder, by David Grann

 

This was my State College book club's April pick, but not something that I would normally have chosen. For some reason, I'm not drawn to tales of the sea, even though I do like nonfiction and history. Nevertheless, I'm glad they chose this book because it was a riveting story about the ship and its voyage around Cape Horn that led to its destruction on the rocks off of a small island. The surviving sailors set up camp on the island and eventually split into two groups to try to escape. Only a few members of each group made it to safety, and their competing stories about their ordeals make up the narrative of this book. Grann, who also authored Killers of the Flower Moon, presents all of the competing versions without judgment, leaving it to the readers to decide for themselves who's at fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment