Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Doors open, by Ian Rankin

 

Before a recent vacation to Scotland, which started and ended in Edinburgh, I wanted to read a novel by Ian Rankin who has been recommended to me by multiple people. I selected this book, a standalone novel that isn't part of any of his series, to take with me on the trip. Doors open is a crime caper that reminded me of Ocean's Eleven and similar stories. Mike Mackenzie, a wealthy tech mogul, and two friends decide to rob the National Galleries of Scotland of some of their better Scottish art, but when they bring in accomplices to help with some aspects of the robbery, everything starts to go wrong. The writing is good and the main characters are interesting and well-developed. I haven't read any of the Rebus novels, but I've heard that they are dark. I wouldn't characterize this book as dark; rather, I found it charming and amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment