Thursday, October 17, 2024

My year of rest and relaxation, by Ottessa Moshfegh

I have to admit that I approached this book with some skepticism since I disliked her earlier book, Eileen. I'm sorry to say that I didn't like this book any more than that one. My year of rest and relaxation is the story of a mid-20s woman who has lost both of her parents and is living on her inheritance, having squandered her job working at an art gallery. Describing herself (over and over) as model thin and pretty, she has decided to sleep as much as possible for a year. She finds a cartoonishly-unethical psychiatrist who prescribes what seems like dozens of mind-altering pills which she mixes and matches for months. She treats her "friend" Reva terribly, and continues to stalk her former boyfriend. She has contempt for everything and everyone. Ultimately, none of the characters in this book are relatable or likeable. While the writing is good, and the main character's backstory is sad, the events of the novel itself are ludicrous, ultimately leading up to the events of September 11, 2001, which seems out of place in this narrative.


No comments:

Post a Comment