Saturday, September 20, 2014

Two Trains Running, by Andrew Vachss


Andrew Vachss. Two Trains Running. New York: Pantheon Books, 2005. 448 pages. ISBN 1400043816.

I heard Andrew Vachss give a lecture at a luncheon that I attended in 2005. I was very impressed with his talk; it was about his crime fiction and the types of crimes that he investigated in his "real" jobs, working as an advocate for abused children. I bought his book after the luncheon (signed "Rebecca -- for real -- Andrew Vachss"). Unfortunately, it took me nine years to get around to reading it, and in the end, I was disappointed by this book.

Breaking away from his series fiction, Two Trains Running is a stand-alone novel that is set in a fictional mid-west town in 1959. The main character is named Walker Dett; he's a hit man hired by the local crime syndicate's boss, Royal Beaumont. Royal's crime empire is being threatened by other crime organizations: the Italian mafia, and Irish. Also threats to Royal’s interests are a rising black power organization, rival teenage street gangs (the Hawks, the Gladiators, and the Kings), a neo-Nazi organization, the FBI, and the local police force.

There are too many conflicting groups and subplots in this book. It was impossible to keep up with all of the twists, turns, and back stabbing going on. There are so many characters all trying to screw each other that I ended up not caring about any of them. The story got more fragmented toward the end, to the point where I'm not actually sure what happened, and sadly, I don't care enough to try to figure it out. I wouldn't recommend this book. I don't know what his other books are like, but they must be fairly popular since he's published so many. Either way, I'm not likely to try to find out, based on how disappointed I am with this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment