Sunday, December 17, 2023

Sea of tranquility, by Emily St. John Mandel

 

I enjoyed this novel by Emily St. John Mandel. Loosely related to the happenings in her earlier novel, The Glass Hotel, Sea of Tranquility is about several characters from different time periods who all experience the same strange phenomenon that involves a glitch in time where they sense similar things, such as a violin playing. As each section of the book tackles a different time period and character, we can begin to piece together the events that they all have in common. The writing is really good, and this is an easy and fast book to read. I would have liked to re-read it, but had to return it to the library, unfortunately. My only beef about it is that time travel books (and movies) always have some element that doesn't really work or make sense. I don't want to give it away, so I won't write any more about this, but this book is no exception. However, if you just suspend your disbelief, this is a good book that I highly recommend. It helps if you've read The Glass Hotel already, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment